qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] What's the intended use of log.h logging?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] What's the intended use of log.h logging?
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 13:54:40 +0100

On 16 October 2015 at 13:48, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 16/10/2015 14:33, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>>    Looks like this is basically TCG with a couple of random LOG_UNIMP
>>    and LOG_GUEST_ERROR thrown in.  It's definitely not a general purpose
>>    QEMU log in its current state.
>
> I think these could become error_report.

No; it's important not to print these unless the user really
asked for them (especially the GUEST_ERROR) kind. Otherwise it's
(potentially quite a lot of) unnecessary noise.

> Some others (e.g. LOG_IOPORT) can be removed.
>
> LOG_MMU seems to be mostly a ppc thing, could also become a tracepoint.
>  Likewise for LOG_PCALL and perhaps LOG_INT.

It's also very useful to be able to enable whole *classes* of
tracing (like "tell me whenever my guest OS does something dumb");
does the tracepoint code have any support for this?

thanks
-- PMM