qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to get started with the source code of Qemu?

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to get started with the source code of Qemu?
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 09:37:24 +0200

On 06/10/15 16:17, Aaron Elkins wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to Qemu, and I’m extremely interested in understanding how the
> source code of Qemu work. But after
> I downloaded the whole project, I just lost in it, the project is too large
> for me to get started.

A very rough survey:

- The main() function is in "vl.c"

- The target CPU emulation code is in the "target-xxx" directories

- The host backends for the CPU emulation is in the "tcg" directory
  (TCG means Tiny Code Generator)

- Other hardware emulation can be found in the "hw" directory

- Host networking code is in the "net" folder

- Guest firmware (BIOS) code can be found in the "pc-bios" folder

That's at least the folders I have been in touch with since I started
working on QEMU. I hope that helps at least a little bit.

 Thomas