qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mount image file feature

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mount image file feature
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 09:15:41 +0200

On 30/08/2015 02:02, Programmingkid wrote:
>> > virt-manager is designed to be cross-platform compatible, and it IS
>> > ported to Windows. If the port to Mac OS doesn't already work out of the
>> > box, then I'm sure the virt-manager community would love patches.  And
>> > THAT is the gui app of choice for dealing with VMs in a cross-platform
>> > manager, since virt-manager IS a gui.  But this is not the virt-manager
>> > mailing list.  Here, in the lower-level qemu, we focus on providing the
>> > machine-friendly knobs, so that higher-level apps like libvirt, and on
>> > top of that virt-manager, can expose a nice gui that uses those knobs.
> I just tried using Virt-manager in Mac OS X. It definitely appears to be
> Linux only.
> The source code doesn't even have a configure script. Sorry.

That doesn't matter.  It's written in Python, it doesn't need a
configure script.

I think virt-manager might work on Mac OS X, but only to connect to
virtual machines running remotely on a Linux machine.  virt-manager
relies on libvirtd running on the same machine as the guest, and
libvirtd is definitely Linux only.

Paolo