qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Modularizing QEMU RFC

From: Fam Zheng
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Modularizing QEMU RFC
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 16:22:34 +0800

On Mon, 08/03 09:52, Marc Marí wrote:
> So any other ideas to reduce the library overhead are appreciated.

It would be interesting to see your profiling on the library loading overhead.
For example, how much does it help to reduce the library size, and how much
does it help to reduce the # of libraries?

The protocol drivers are modularized for the sake of library dependencies, so
they should stay that way. However, we can "sensibly" combine all non-native
format drivers (VMDK, VHDX, ...) into a cold-formats.so (if it turns out that
leave qcow2 as a separate one for obvious reasons, or make a hot-formats.so
with one or two other formats if that makes more sense.

With that, for the first step, we can lazy load the cold-formats.so whenever we
need to probe or a non-qcow2 format is involved. Then on top of that we can
implement what Peter has suggested.

Fam