qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Using the one disk image file on 2 virtual machines at

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Using the one disk image file on 2 virtual machines at the same time
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 13:46:38 -0400

On 07/29/2015 01:29 PM, Manjong Han wrote:
> Thanks, Stefan.

>> You should probably use qcow2 backing files instead:
>>
>>   10G.qcow2 <-- vm001.qcow2
>>             ^-- vm002.qcow2
>>
>> The command to create these files is:
>>
>>   qemu-img create -f qcow2 -o backing_file=10G.qcow2 vm001.qcow2.
>>
>> Both VMs share the data in 10G.qcow2.  All writes go to vm001.qcow2 or
>> vm002.qcow2, respectively, so they don't corrupt each other.
>>

> I tried to create a backing files, using the commands which you told.
>
> $ qemu-img create -f qcow2 -o backing_file=10G.qcow2 vm001.qcow2
> $ qemu-img create -f qcow2 -o backing_file=10G.qcow2 vm002.qcow2
>
> And, I used these backing files on each virtual machines.
> But, new files weren't written on original disk image(10G.qcow2)..
> The backing files were working each other.
>
>> Standard file systems (ext4, xfs) and volume managers (LVM) are not
>> cluster-aware by default.  They must only be accessed from one machine
>> at a time.  Otherwise you risk data corruption.
>>

> I think that I must probably use a shared file system like NFS..

Yes, any files written using the backing files like outlined above will
put new files in the overlays (e.g. vm001.qcow2 or vm002.qcow2) and NOT
into the backing file (10G.qcow2)

this is a safe way to share a base image for an OS, but it's not a
method of accomplishing a concurrent fileshare.

You'll want to configure an NFS or CIFS share (etc) in the base image
and then allow the multiple VMs to utilize that share.

--js