qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU -- SMP and TIME

From: françois Guerret
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU -- SMP and TIME
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:36:41 +0200

Hi,

Further to my mail exchange with Victor I would like to ask you some help about time simulaion in Qemu when using SMP.

Context:
-----------
I use Qemu on Windows, I am booting bare metal programs and I am trying to test embedded code, so I need more or less
repeatable executions (and I do not need the time simulated in Qemu to be synchronised with the "realtime" (watch time)).
As a consequence I use the "-icount" option.

What I need:
----------------
 * Time synchronisation between emulated cores, at least with a given time granularity.
 * For example, I would nice if Qemu could ensure that **all** the cores will execute code between two timer events

The two kind of solutions I imagine (if no one exists yet):
* The simplest (if possible): if Qemu is able to affect the scheduling of threads modelling the cores, it would be nice if the
   user could ask Qemu to ensure that every thread simulating a core will be executed at least every a given period of time.
* If the above solution is not feasable, it will be probably necessary to add one *icount* (instruction counter) per core in
    order to avoid a core to discover than time has been running far further its next timer events while it was
    preempted by the host OS (because an other core has executed instructions and incremented *icount*). The problem
    would be then to synchronise this "instructions count" (representing time). This could be done adding synchronisation
    barriers between all the cores at each timer event. This would probably slow down Qemu but, once again, when coding
    for embedded boards, it is much preferable to have a consistent simulated time rather real time.

Best regards

Francois

PS: Could you please answer me on this mail address, I am just not able to deal with the hundreds of mails per day sent
       to the devel list ;)