qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Does PCI hotplug work with IVSHMEM?

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Does PCI hotplug work with IVSHMEM?
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 18:37:12 +0200

Hi

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Ivano Cerrato <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is there any way to force the Guest OS to recognize the new device without
> rebooting? Such as rmmod/insmod or equivalent?

This can be observed in qemu monitor too, info qtree:

      dev: ivshmem, id ""
        chardev = ""
        size = "2048M"
        vectors = 1 (0x1)
        ioeventfd = false
        msi = true
        shm = "foo"
        role = ""
        use64 = 1 (0x1)
        addr = 05.0
        romfile = ""
        rombar = 1 (0x1)
        multifunction = false
        command_serr_enable = true
        class RAM controller, addr 00:05.0, pci id 1af4:1110 (sub 1af4:1100)
        bar 0: mem at 0x40000000 [0x400000ff]
        bar 2: mem at 0xffffffffffffffff [0x7ffffffe]

Check dmesg, it fails to allocate for me, but with 1G it works (f22
x86_64). I don't know what's the reason behind it.

Note that it's not safe to do hotplug with ivshmem (it may assert in
various ways), I proposed a patch series a few weeks ago, I am going
to send an updated version soon.

--
Marc-André Lureau