qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] net: Next steps to deprecate -net

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] net: Next steps to deprecate -net
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 09:48:34 +0200

On 07/17/2015 09:25 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 17 July 2015 at 07:53, Thomas Huth <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Ok, assuming that my "Network traffic dumping for -netdev devices" patch
>> series is going to solve the dumping-for-netdev problem, how do we
>> tackle the remaining problems that we have to solve before we can
>> deprecate -net? Does anybody have a survey of the (onboard) NICs that
>> can only be configured with -net but not with -device? Could they
>> nowadays be changed to work with -device, too, or are there still major
>> obstacles to solve first?
>
> The problem is that "-device" says "create a new device and
> configure it like this". But onboard NICs are created by
> the board, so we want let the user say how to configure
> those devices, not create new ones...

Ok, I see ... maybe it makes sense to simply keep "-net nic" to be able
to configure the default/onboard NIC, and only to remove all the other
-net options instead ("-net user" etc.). The disliked vlan/hub concept
could then be removed, too, since "-net nic" can be used together with
"-netdev" nowadays by using something like "-net nic,netdev=xxx" as far
as I know. That would clean up most points of confusion, I think, and
would not cause too much code churn for the onboard NICs. Does that
sound feasible?

 Thomas