[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 00/21] Deterministic replay core
[Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 00/21] Deterministic replay core
Wed, 01 Jul 2015 14:51:35 +0300
This set of patches is related to the reverse execution and deterministic
replay of qemu execution. This implementation of deterministic replay can
be used for deterministic debugging of guest code through gdb remote
Core set of patches does not include support for reverse debugging commands
of gdb, block devices' operations, USB replay support.
These patches include only core function of the replay,
excluding the support for replaying serial, audio, network, and USB devices'
operations. Reverse debugging and monitor commands were also excluded to
be submitted later as separate patches.
Execution recording writes non-deterministic events log, which can be later
used for replaying the execution anywhere and for unlimited number of times.
It also supports checkpointing for faster rewinding during reverse debugging.
Execution replaying reads the log and replays all non-deterministic events
including external input, hardware clocks, and interrupts.
Full version of deterministic replay has the following features:
* Deterministically replays whole system execution and all contents of the
state of the hadrware devices, clocks, and screen of the VM.
* Writes execution log into the file for latter replaying for multiple times
on different machines.
* Supports i386, x86_64, ARM, PowerPC, and MIPS hardware platforms.
* Performs deterministic replay of all operations with keyboard and mouse
* Supports auto-checkpointing for convenient reverse debugging.
Usage of the record/replay core:
* First, record the execution, by adding the following string to the command
'-icount shift=7,rr=record,rrfile=replay.bin -net none'.
Block devices' images are not actually changed in the recording mode,
because all of the changes are written to the temporary overlay file.
* Then you can replay it for the multiple times by using another command
line option: '-icount shift=7,rr=replay,rrfile=replay.bin -net none'
* '-net none' option should also be specified if network replay patches
are not applied.
* Do not add any disk images to VM, because they are not supported by
the core patches.
Paper with short description of deterministic replay implementation:
Public repository with the current version of the patches:
Modifications of qemu include:
* wrappers for clock and time functions to save their return values in the log
* saving different asynchronous events (e.g. system shutdown) into the log
* synchronization of the threads from thread pool
* recording/replaying user input (mouse and keyboard)
* adding internal events for cpu and io synchronization
* Tested record/replay with MIPS and PowerPC guests
* Published the patches on github
* Fixed replay mutex operation in icount mode
* Fixed timers processing in record/replay mode
* Minor fixes
* Introduced "ptimer trigger" event (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Removed block patches from the core patches set.
* Fixed instructions event processing.
* Added some mutex protection calls for replay.
* Fixed replaying read operations for qcow2.
* Fixed rtc reads on initializations stage.
* Eliminated some warnings in replay module.
* Fixed misprints in documentation for replay (as suggested by Eric Blake)
* Fixed queue processing for bottom halves (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Rewritten several replay functions (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Some minor fixes.
* Replaced fwrite/fread with putc/getc (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Stopping virtual machine in case of replay file end (as suggested by Paolo
* Removed one of the replay mutexes (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Fixed RCU queue for bottom halves (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Updated command line options' names (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Added design document for record/replay (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Simplified checkpoints for the timers
* Added cloning InputEvent objects for replay (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Added replay blockers instead of checking the command line (as suggested by
* Some functions renaming and extracting.
* Simplified processing of the shutdown event (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Replaced stack of bottom halves in AIO context with QSIMPLEQ (as suggested
by Paolo Bonzini)
* Moved replay_submode out of the series (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Moved suffix option out of the series
* Converted some of the defines into enums (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Encapsulated save_tm/read_tm calls into the single function (as suggested by
* Moved record/replay options to icount group (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Updated mutex protection for the events queue (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Added mutex to protect replay log file (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Minor cleanups
* Removed patches that were applied to upstream.
* Fixed replay stub return value (as suggested by Eric Blake)
* Fixed icount warping.
* Virtual rt clock now uses cpu_get_clock() (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Replated get_clock_realtime and get_clock calls with qemu clock requests (as
suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Modified can_do_io logic to allow requesting icount from cpu_exec function
(as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Removed applied patches.
* Minor changes.
* Used fixed-width integer types for read/write functions (as suggested by
* Moved savevm-related code out of the core.
* Added new traced clock for deterministic virtual clock warping (as suggested
by Paolo Bonzini)
* Fixed exception_index reset for user mode (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Adopted Paolo's icount patches
* Fixed hardware interrupts replaying
* Updated block drivers to support new bdrv_open interface.
* Moved migration patches into separate series (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Fixed a bug in replay_break operation.
* Fixed rtl8139 migration for replay.
* Fixed 'period' parameter processing for record mode.
* Fixed bug in 'reverse-stepi' implementation.
* Fixed replay without making any snapshots (even the starting one).
* Moved core replay patches into the separate series.
* Fixed reverse step and reverse continue support.
* Fixed several bugs in icount subsystem.
* Reusing native qemu icount for replay instructions counting.
* Separated core patches into their own series.
* Fixed bug with replay of the aio write operations.
* Added virtual clock based on replay icount.
* Removed duplicated saving of interrupt_request CPU field.
* Fixed some coding style issues.
* Renamed QMP commands for controlling reverse execution (as suggested by Eric
* Replay mode and submode implemented as QAPI enumerations (as suggested by
* Added description and example for replay-info command (as suggested by Eric
* Added information about the current breakpoint to the output of replay-info
(as suggested by Eric Blake)
* Updated version id for HPET vmstate (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Removed static fields from parallel vmstate (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* New vmstate fields for mc146818rtc, pckbd, kvmapic, serial, fdc, rtl8139
moved to subsection (as suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Disabled textmode cursor blinking, when virtual machine is stopped (as
suggested by Paolo Bonzini)
* Extracted saving of exception_index to separate patch (as suggested by Paolo
* Patches are split to be reviewable and bisectable (as suggested by Kirill
* Added QMP versions of replay commands (as suggested by Eric Blake)
* Removed some optional features of replay to make patches cleaner
* Minor changes and code cleanup were made
Pavel Dovgalyuk (21):
i386: partial revert of interrupt poll fix
replay: global variables and function stubs
sysemu: system functions for replay
replay: internal functions for replay log
replay: introduce mutex to protect the replay log
replay: introduce icount event
cpu-exec: allow temporary disabling icount
cpu: replay instructions sequence
i386: interrupt poll processing
replay: interrupts and exceptions
replay: asynchronous events infrastructure
replay: recording and replaying clock ticks
replay: shutdown event
bottom halves: introduce bh call function
typedef: add typedef for QemuOpts
replay: initialization and deinitialization
replay: replay blockers for devices
replay: command line options
replay: recording of the user input
Makefile.target | 1
async.c | 7 +
cpu-exec.c | 59 ++++++--
cpus.c | 48 ++++--
docs/replay.txt | 167 ++++++++++++++++++++++
dtc | 2
exec.c | 1
hw/bt/hci.c | 7 +
hw/core/ptimer.c | 7 +
include/block/aio.h | 5 +
include/exec/exec-all.h | 2
include/qapi/qmp/qerror.h | 3
include/qemu/option.h | 5 -
include/qemu/typedefs.h | 3
include/qom/cpu.h | 10 +
include/sysemu/cpus.h | 1
include/ui/input.h | 2
main-loop.c | 4 +
qapi-schema.json | 18 ++
qemu-options.hx | 8 +
qemu-timer.c | 47 +++++-
replay/Makefile.objs | 5 +
replay/replay-events.c | 275 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
replay/replay-input.c | 159 +++++++++++++++++++++
replay/replay-internal.c | 200 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
replay/replay-internal.h | 142 ++++++++++++++++++
replay/replay-time.c | 64 ++++++++
replay/replay.c | 346 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
replay/replay.h | 119 +++++++++++++++
stubs/Makefile.objs | 1
stubs/replay.c | 33 ++++
target-i386/cpu.c | 10 -
target-i386/seg_helper.c | 3
translate-all.c | 10 +
ui/input.c | 27 ++--
vl.c | 44 +++++-
36 files changed, 1780 insertions(+), 65 deletions(-)
create mode 100755 docs/replay.txt
create mode 100755 replay/Makefile.objs
create mode 100755 replay/replay-events.c
create mode 100755 replay/replay-input.c
create mode 100755 replay/replay-internal.c
create mode 100755 replay/replay-internal.h
create mode 100755 replay/replay-time.c
create mode 100755 replay/replay.c
create mode 100755 replay/replay.h
create mode 100755 stubs/replay.c
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 00/21] Deterministic replay core,
Pavel Dovgalyuk <=
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 01/21] i386: partial revert of interrupt poll fix, Pavel Dovgalyuk, 2015/07/01
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 03/21] sysemu: system functions for replay, Pavel Dovgalyuk, 2015/07/01
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 02/21] replay: global variables and function stubs, Pavel Dovgalyuk, 2015/07/01
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 04/21] replay: internal functions for replay log, Pavel Dovgalyuk, 2015/07/01
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 05/21] replay: introduce mutex to protect the replay log, Pavel Dovgalyuk, 2015/07/01
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 06/21] replay: introduce icount event, Pavel Dovgalyuk, 2015/07/01
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 07/21] cpu-exec: allow temporary disabling icount, Pavel Dovgalyuk, 2015/07/01
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 08/21] cpu: replay instructions sequence, Pavel Dovgalyuk, 2015/07/01
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 09/21] i386: interrupt poll processing, Pavel Dovgalyuk, 2015/07/01
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v15 10/21] replay: interrupts and exceptions, Pavel Dovgalyuk, 2015/07/01