qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] extensions to the -m memory option

From: Liviu Ionescu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] extensions to the -m memory option
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 23:59:01 +0300

> On 31 May 2015, at 21:45, Peter Crosthwaite <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 7:05 AM, Liviu Ionescu <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Make it a property of the SoC container and then just use -global?
>>
>> I followed your advice and I ended up with the following:
>>
>> - I added a new type "cortexm-mcu" that I use as parent for all Cortex-M MCU
>> objects (like "STM32F103RB")
>>

> Is this a documented abstraction common to all cortex-M
> implementations (is it in ARM documentation?) or is it specific to
> STMxxxxx. Or is it an undocumented common practice across multiple
> vendors?

sorry, I don't understand your question.

yes, cortex-m devices have internal flash and ram, and this is not a STM only
feature.

> ..., rather than setting your props using -global,
> the multiple boards will set them. You can always as a hack take a
> know board (are you using Alistairs board?) and do -global to change
> these particulars.

no, I'm not using Alistair's board, but I used it as a model.

in my branch I already have definitions for the following boards, and their
MCUs:

Supported machines are:
EK-TM4C123GXL        TI Tiva C Series TM4C123GXL LaunchPad Evaluation Kit
(Experimental)
FRDM-K20D50M         Freescale Freedom Development Platform for Kinetis K20 USB
MCUs (Experimental)
FRDM-K22F            Freescale Freedom Development Platform for Kinetis K22
MCUs (Experimental)
FRDM-K64F            Freescale Freedom Development Platform for Kinetis K6[34]
and K24 MCUs (Experimental)
FRDM-KL25Z           Freescale Freedom Development Platform for Kinetis
KL[12][45] MCUs (Experimental)
FRDM-KL26Z           Freescale Freedom Development Platform for Kinetis KL[12]6
MCUs (Experimental)
FRDM-KL43Z           Freescale Freedom Development Platform for Kinetis
KL[34]3, KL[12]7 MCUs (Experimental)
FRDM-KL46Z           Freescale Freedom Development Platform for Kinetis KL[34]x
MCUs (Experimental)
LPCXpresso-LPC1769   Embedded Artists LPCXpresso LPC1769 Development Board
(Experimental)
Mapple               LeafLab Arduino-style STM32 microcontroller board
(Experimental)
NUCLEO-F103RB        ST Nucleo Development Board for STM32 F1 series
(Experimental)
NUCLEO-F334R8        ST Nucleo Development Board for STM32 F3 series
(Experimental)
NUCLEO-F411RE        ST Nucleo Development Board for STM32 F4 series
(Experimental)
NUCLEO-L152RE        ST Nucleo Development Board with STM32L152RET6
(Experimental)
Netduino2            Netduino Development Board with STM32F2 (Experimental)
NetduinoGo           Netduino GoBus Development Board with STM32F4
(Experimental)
NetduinoPlus2        Netduino Development Board with STM32F4 (Experimental)
OLIMEXINO-STM32      Olimex Mapple (Arduino-like) Development Board
(Experimental)
SAM3-H256            Olimex Header Board for ATSAM3S4BA (Experimental)
STM32-E407           Olimex Development Board for STM32F407ZGT6 (Experimental)
STM32-H103           Olimex Header Board for STM32F103RBT6 (Experimental)
STM32-P103           Olimex Prototype Board for STM32F103RBT6 (Experimental)
STM32-P107           Olimex Prototype Board for STM32F107VCT6 (Experimental)
STM32F0-Discovery    ST Discovery kit for STM32F051 line (Experimental)
STM32F3-Discovery    ST Discovery kit for STM32F303 line (Experimental)
STM32F4-Discovery    ST Discovery kit for STM32F407/417 lines (Experimental)
STM32F429I-Discovery ST Discovery kit for STM32F429/439 lines (Experimental)
STM32VL-Discovery    ST Discovery kit for STM32F100 Value Line (Experimental)
TWR-K60F120M         Freescale Kinetis K60 120 MHz Tower System Module
(Experimental)
XMC 2Go              Infineon XMC 2Go Kit with XMC1100 (Experimental)
XMC1100 Boot Kit     Infineon CPU Card XMC1100 Boot Kit Entry Series
(Experimental)
XMC1200 Boot Kit     Infineon CPU Card XMC1200 Boot Kit Feature Series
(Experimental)
XMC1300 Boot Kit     Infineon CPU Card XMC1300 Boot Kit Control Series
(Experimental)
XMC4200 Enterprise Kit Infineon CPU Board XMC4200 Actuator (Experimental)
XMC4400 Enterprise Kit Infineon CPU Board XMC4400 General Purpose (Experimental)
XMC4500 Enterprise Kit Infineon CPU Board XMC4500 General Purpose (Experimental)
XMC4500 Relax Kit    Infineon CPU Board XMC4500 Relax Kit (Experimental)
XMC4500 Relax Lite Kit Infineon CPU Board XMC4500 Relax Lite Kit (Experimental)

> ... QEMU is supposed to implement fixed boards using -M.

yes, I am aware of this, but in the cortex-m world this simply does not scale,
there are too many different variants of the same mcu, and too many boards.

it is not realistic to imagine that all the mcu variants will ever be emulated
as separate boards.

so, for some cases, referring to one existing board/mcu and slightly adjusting
the flash/ram sizes might provide a temporary solution.

regards,

Liviu