qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] extensions to the -m memory option

From: Liviu Ionescu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] extensions to the -m memory option
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 17:05:30 +0300

> On 30 May 2015, at 12:39, Peter Crosthwaite <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Liviu Ionescu <address@hidden> wrote:
>> however the question remains: in this nicely layered model, what command
>> line options would be more appropriate to overwrite the MCU hard-wired
>> ram/flash sizes?
>>

> Make it a property of the SoC container and then just use -global?

I followed your advice and I ended up with the following:

- I added a new type "cortexm-mcu" that I use as parent for all Cortex-M MCU
objects (like "STM32F103RB")

- I added the following properties to this type:

        cortexm-mcu.flash-sizeK=uint32
        cortexm-mcu.ram-sizeK=uint32
        cortexm-mcu.cpu-model=str
        cortexm-mcu.kernel-filename=str

I can set the memory sizes with --global:

        --global cortexm-mcu.flash-sizeK=123
        --global cortexm-mcu.ram-sizeK=45

and the result looks like:

        GNU ARM Eclipse 64-bits QEMU v2.3.50 (qemu-system-gnuarmeclipse).
        Board: 'STM32-H103' (Olimex Header Board for STM32F103RBT6
(Experimental)).
        Device: 'STM32F103RB' (Cortex-M3, MPU), Flash: 123 KB, RAM: 45 KB.

without the --global definitions, the result looks like:

        Device: 'STM32F103RB' (Cortex-M3, MPU), Flash: 128 KB, RAM: 20 KB.

so the configuration is effective and the result is as expected.

the only minor disadvantage is that the command line gets a bit too long, but,
given the flexibility to add any properties, this shouldn't be a problem.

q: does this fit into the general qemu configuration mechanism?

regards,

Liviu