qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcing qboot, a minimal x86 firmware for QEMU

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcing qboot, a minimal x86 firmware for QEMU
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 12:12:59 +0100

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 12:04:54PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 22 May 2015 at 12:01, Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On the QEMU side of things I wonder if there is scope for taking AArch64's
> > 'virt' machine type concept and duplicating it on all architectures.
>
> Experience suggests that holding the line on "minimal" is really
> quite tricky, though -- there's always one more thing that
> somebody really wants to add...

Yep, it is hard saying no - but I'd think as long as it was possible to add
the extra features using -device, it ought to be practical to keep a "virt"
machine types "-nodefaults -nodefconfig" base setup pretty minimal. In
particular I don't see why we need to have a SATA controller and ISA/LPC
bridge in every virt machine - root PCI bus only should be possible, as you
can provide disks via virtio-blk or virtio-scsi and serial, parallel, mouse,
floppy via PCI devices and/or by adding a USB bus in the cases where you
really need one.

Regards,
Daniel