qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC/RFT PATCH v2 0/3] KVM: Introduce KVM_MEM_UNCACHED

From: Andrew Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC/RFT PATCH v2 0/3] KVM: Introduce KVM_MEM_UNCACHED
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 15:36:37 +0200

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 02:11:59PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 14 May 2015 at 14:03, Andrew Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> Did you check that non-cacheable is definitely the correct
> >> kind of Normal memory attribute we want? (ie not write-through).
> >
> > I was concerned that write-through wouldn't be sufficient. If the
> > guest writes to its non-cached memory, and QEMU needs to see what
> > it wrote, then won't write-through fail to work? Unless we some
> > how invalidate the cache first?
>
> Well, I meant more that the correct mapping for userspace is
> the same as the guest, whatever that is, and so somebody needs
> to look at what the guest actually does rather than merely
> hoping NormalNC is OK. (For instance, do we need to provide
> support for QEMU to map both NC and writethrough?)

Ah, we assume the guest is mapping it as device memory, and in
this version of the series, I ensure that it is at least NC with
the S2 attributes. I don't think we can look at what some guests
do with some devices to come up with anything beyond (poor?)
heuristics. I prefer that we force both the guest and QEMU to NC
(or guest chooses Device and QEMU is forced to NC) to make sure
we get it right.

drew