qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Missing interrupts on g3beige and mac99 machines

From: Cormac O'Brien
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Missing interrupts on g3beige and mac99 machines
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 13:03:22 -0500

While trying to implement OS 9 support on QEMU, I've run into the following
errors from the operating system:

g3beige:
    ******************* MacOS: Fatal Error!  (0xF3B37FDB) *******************
    Official Apple copyright message missing.
    ******************* MacOS: Fatal Error!  (0xF3B37FDB) *******************
    MacOS: missing cpu "reservation-granule-size" property.
    MacOS: unable to find a usable NVRAM partition - using offset 0x1400.
    ******************* MacOS: Fatal Error!  (0xF3B37FDB) *******************
    MacOS: Neither RTAS nor plug-ins found and installed!
    MacOS: Boot Failure!  (0xF3C481F6)
    MacOS: unable to find an interrupt controller node.

mac99:
    ******************* MacOS: Fatal Error!  (0xF3B37FDB) *******************
    Official Apple copyright message missing.
    ******************* MacOS: Fatal Error!  (0xF3B37FDB) *******************
    MacOS: missing cpu "reservation-granule-size" property.
    MacOS: unable to find a usable NVRAM partition - using offset 0x1400.
    MacOS: Boot Failure!  (0xF3C481F6)
    MacOS: device has < 1 interrupts!

The g3beige machine doesn't list an interrupt controller in either '/aliases'
or '/pci/mac-io', which might explain why Mac OS can't find it.

The mac99 machine does list a PIC:

    0 > dev /pci/mac-io/interrupt-controller  ok
    0 > .properties
    name                      "interrupt-controller"
    device_type               "open-pic"
    compatible                "chrp,open-pic"
    built-in                  <empty>
    reg                       00040000   00040000
    #interrupt-cells          2
    #address-cells            0
    interrupt-controller      <empty>
    clock-frequency           3f940a

This location and property list is identical to the Mac-on-Linux device tree
and the device tree of a UniNorth machine that Alex sent me (the tree, not the
machine). So it seems that the mac99 PIC is implemented correctly but has no
interrupts registered.