qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] 64-bit build of qemu-system-arm with mingw-w64 not function

From: Liviu Ionescu
Subject: [Qemu-devel] 64-bit build of qemu-system-arm with mingw-w64 not functional
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 00:21:05 +0300

I was too optimistic, my 64-bit Windows build of the ARM emulator is not
functional. :-(

I also tested other 64-bit builds of qemu-system-arm made with mingw-w64 and
they are also not functional, they generally crash with some nasty DLL errors
when emulation is about to start (for example 0xc0000028, which is a stack
error).

I tried the following:
- the 64-bit qemu-system-arm that comes with MSYS2 as a binary package,
- a source build on Arch (Arch because it already has mingw-w64 packages for
all needed libs)
- my source build on Ubuntu 14 LTS, with all libraries built by my script and
the result as static.

the result is the same, i.e. starting the program with -version works (so no
missing DLLs), but when trying to start emulation, with -kernel test.elf, the
program crashes.

for comparison, on the same machine, in the same testing conditions, with the
same image, but executed with the 32-bit version of the emulator, everything
works just fine.

I could not identify if the problem is within qemu or mingw-w64, but I would
not rule out a problem in qemu. I would first suspect a customisation made
especially for mingw-w32, which is not appropriate for the 64-bit version of
mingw-w64.

unfortunately my testing capabilities on Windows are limited, and cannot go
much further.

it would be great if someone could investigate this problem, mingw-w64 seems a
promising building tool. as development platform I would recommend Arch for
Linux users or MSYS2 for Windows users.

regards,

Liviu