qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] hw/arm/virt: Add a "generic-ehci" USB controller

From: Jérémy Fanguède
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] hw/arm/virt: Add a "generic-ehci" USB controller to ARM virt model
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 17:30:42 +0200

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 3 April 2015 at 08:30, Jérémy Fanguède
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > This patch enables the attachment of USB devices (emulated or
> > passthrough) on the ARM virt model, without the need of a PCI USB
> > controller, by adding a generic EHCI USB controller to the system bus.
>
> What's the use case for doing this rather than just plugging a
> USB controller into the PCIE controller that we have now?
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

Hi,

You are right, since it is now possible to use a PCI controller, we
can use USB through it. This patch for completeness doesn't rely on
PCI.
Also, we have this patch for a long time, we just share it with the
world, this kind of modifications could also be implemented in other
models, like vexpress, if it's needed.

Regards,

Jérémy