qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Bouncing maintainers

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Bouncing maintainers
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 13:03:49 -0400

On 03/31/2015 06:01 AM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
John Snow <address@hidden> writes:

On 03/26/2015 09:19 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
Am 25.03.2015 um 16:45 hat John Snow geschrieben:

On 03/25/2015 10:48 AM, Markus Armbruster wrote:
I just had another cc: to an address gotten from MAINTAINERS bounce with
"user unknown".

How do we weed out dead MAINTAINERS entries?

Automated spambot that runs once a release cycle and reports back to
the list which entries were dead?

I don't need more email. Why can't we just send a patch to MAINTAINERS
dropping the line the first time someone actually notices it?

Kevin

Could make a bot that just watches from: addresses on the list. If it
sees a mail from you within the last release cycle, it assumes you are
still alive.

Is this something patchew could do for us?  It already watches list
traffic.

Good idea. We can add a Maintainers status page that shows how long it's been since it's heard from each maintainer, and sort them in order, and we can check the page here and again.

(Or, when patchew is made to be more stable, incorporated into a quarterly status report that it sends out to the list)

If it doesn't hear from you for an entire release cycle, it sends out
a small ping and looks for bounces.

I'm not sure I'd bother with the ping.  Post the list of absentee
maintainers, and let humans take it from there.

Only once a release would be not more than four times a year, and most
active maintainers would never see a single email.

Or, yes, manually when it happens...