qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: memory API changes

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: memory API changes
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 15:26:48 +0000

On 23 March 2015 at 15:18, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 23/03/2015 16:11, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>>
>>> I think shorthand functions with no extra arguments still have a place.
>>
>> The trouble is that since C doesn't do polymorphism you
>> then end up with awkward names for one or the other...
>
> True.  But since it's not a new API we can keep the old name for the
> simple one.

...except that means that the function you should in
general not be using as default is the one with the short
name, which is the wrong way round. We should be guiding
people writing new code to think about the required
behaviour on memory transaction failure (and attributes)
as they write the code, not making it easy for them to
ignore the issue...

-- PMM