qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Does kvm friendly support GPT?

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Does kvm friendly support GPT?
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:52:27 +0100

On 22/12/2014 10:40, Zhang Haoyu wrote:
>> 2) the FAT driver is not free, which prevents distribution in Fedora and
>> several other distributions
>>
> Sorry, I cannot follow you,
> the "FAT" mentioned above means FAT filesystem?
> what's the relationship between OVMF and FAT?
>
> I want to use OVMF to enable UEFI to support GPT partition for P2V scenario.

Yes, I mean FAT filesystem.

The EFI system partition (the one with BOOTX64.EFI) is FAT.  The
filesystem driver is not free, and without the driver you cannot boot a
UEFI system.  So Fedora and other distributions that do not allow
non-free or patent-encumbered software cannot distribute a useful OVMF
build.

Paolo