qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Serial: possible hang during intensive interaction over

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Serial: possible hang during intensive interaction over the console
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 15:06:44 +0000

On 11 December 2014 at 14:56, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think an abstraction of the "serial port" concept that is based on the
> 16550A register set, and with arbitrarily sized FIFOs, would be nice to
> have.  All device models would talk to such abstraction.  The 16550A is
> well known and a lot of devices take inspiration from it).

An abstraction of that from the specifics of the PC's serial port
might be nice, yes. (omap_uart.c has to jump through some ugly hoops
currently, with more ugliness in the out-of-tree omap3 extensions.)
However I don't think it makes sense to force all serial port
device models to go through it -- not all the world is a 16550A
and some UARTs simply are different.

thanks
-- PMM