qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Redundant VDE network

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Redundant VDE network
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 09:37:21 +0000

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 6:29 AM, Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/08/2014 08:53 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>
>> Try:
>>
>> qemu-system-sparc -m 256 \
>>      -netdev vde,sock=/tmp/vde0,id=vde0 \
>>      -device ne2k_pci,netdev=vde0 \
>>      -netdev vde,sock=/tmp/vde1,id=vde1 \
>>      -device ne2k_pci,netdev=vde1 \
>>      -hda vm0.img
>

> This works just fine for qemu-system-x86, but not for SPARC with lance NIC:
>
> qemu-system-sparc -m 256 \
>       -netdev vde,sock=/tmp/vde0,id=vde0 -device lance,netdev=vde0 \
>       -netdev vde,sock=/tmp/vde1,id=vde1 -device lance,netdev=vde1 \
>       -hda vm0.img
>
> qemu-system-sparc: -device lance,netdev=vde0: Parameter 'driver' expects
> pluggable device type
>
> It looks like PCI/sysbus emulation is incomplete/broken on SPARC.
> Assuming that x86 is OK, what SPARC-specific stuff should I check?

Is there a reason why you are using the old 32-bit SPARC machine types
instead of the more modern 64-bit SPARC machine types?

$ sparc-softmmu/qemu-system-sparc -M help
Supported machines are:
LX                   Sun4m platform, SPARCstation LX
SPARCClassic         Sun4m platform, SPARCClassic
SPARCbook            Sun4m platform, SPARCbook
SS-10                Sun4m platform, SPARCstation 10
SS-20                Sun4m platform, SPARCstation 20
SS-4                 Sun4m platform, SPARCstation 4
SS-5                 Sun4m platform, SPARCstation 5 (default)
SS-600MP             Sun4m platform, SPARCserver 600MP
Voyager              Sun4m platform, SPARCstation Voyager
leon3_generic        Leon-3 generic
none                 empty machine

$ sparc64-softmmu/qemu-system-sparc64 -M help
Supported machines are:
Niagara              Sun4v platform, Niagara
none                 empty machine
sun4u                Sun4u platform (default)
sun4v                Sun4v platform

I guess the SS-5 default machine type you are running doesn't have a PCI bus?

By the way, I have not tested the command-line because Fedora does not
have a vde package.  You are in niche territory with both SPARC and
vde, expect to either debug things yourself or file bugs (they may not
be addressed in a timely fashion).  Just want to set expectations for
what you will find.

Stefan