qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Request for help

From: Martin Townsend
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Request for help
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 14:50:50 +0100

Hi,

I'm looking into creating a virtualised test bed for an 802.15.4 network.
Currently I have QEMU running and emulating our HW which bridges the Ethernet
from the guest to the host.  What I would like to do is something similar with
the 802.15.4 network interface.  The host doesn't have a physical 802.15.4
interface but if I could get the data out of the guest and into QEMU I could
communicate with a central network simulator to deal with the packets.
My first thought was to write a virtual device for QEMU that would interface
with our 802.15.4 driver in the guest but then I realise that the real device
hangs of an AMBA bus so my next idea was to write a PCI driver for 802.15.4 on
the guest making it possible to write a PCI virtual QEMU device.

I just wanted to confirm that this is possible and whether there is a better
solution?

Many Thanks,
Martin.