qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU and other libusb application cause segfaults in libusb

From: Erik Rull
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and other libusb application cause segfaults in libusb
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:19:35 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

I post this to both QEMU and libusb because I'm not sure where the error could
be located.

I have an application using libusb which is running for months without any
issues on the host system.

When I start QEMU - which uses libusb, too - the errors begin. I route some USB
ports to my QEMU-KVM guest but NOT the port where my hardware is attached.
>From time to time I start receiving things from my own application that are
never sent by my USB hardware, it seems to be more a heap of memory coming from
somewhere else. And sometimes the libusb gets segfaulted in
libusb_handle_events_timeout_completed().

As long as my application is running alone everything is fine. And there is no
dmesg output that processes are fighting for my device.

When I exit QEMU early enough, the application stays alive and remains stable.

Any hints how to prevent that would be appreciated.

My system is an i5 CPU with a vanilla kernel 3.4.67.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Erik