qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/arm: add Lego NXT board

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/arm: add Lego NXT board
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 22:37:47 +0200

Il 14/07/2014 20:09, Alexander Graf ha scritto:
So the protocol basically allows to forward read and write accesses on
IO memory to processes outside of Qemu.

Get and set transactions are triggered by Qemu on an IO memory read
operation or write operation respectively. The pipe communication blocks
Qemu until a value is available/the value was published.

The obvious thing to consider is whether this could be used to circumvent the GPL.

I think a generic memory-mapped I/O device interface is not a good idea in this respect, also because it's hard to get it right. But i2c is simple enough, and there are so many devices with a 4-page datasheet, that I think it would be acceptable. You could also write an i2c passthrough chardev backend that connects to /dev/i2c* and lets the guest access slaves in the host.

Paolo

I like the *-over-chardev idea. This could be a benefit for people who
want to couple simulators or test oracles for embedded system tests or
in general to other software in a simple way.