qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtualize sparc developer workstation?

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtualize sparc developer workstation?
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 23:15:57 +0100

On 07/07/14 07:43, Markus Armbruster wrote:

Cc'ing the SPARC maintainer.

I'm not the official maintainer, but I've done some work on this and so can probably answer your question.

dennis luehring <address@hidden> writes:

i want to virtualize (under a linux x86 host) my noisy sparc workstation
with the help of qemu and want to know if its possible to
get an system image to run or what other options available
for sparc virtualization

im developing a low-traffic network communication software
and sparc is one of my test platforms

is the sparc emulation good enough for
(low-traffic) network communication tests?

my current system specs:
-SUN Ultra 10 SPARC Workstation
-384 MB RAM
-Operating System: Solaris 10 November 2006 - SunOS Release 5.10
Generic_118833-33 64-bit
-Desktop: CDE 1.6.3, X11 Version 6.6.2
-Compiler: SunStudio 12 - Sun C/C++ v5.9 2007/05/03 (and gcc v.3.4.6)
-Workstation-Info: SUNW,Ultra-5_10;sparc;sun4u

it would be nice to have the desktop running
but i can compile & test my software fully on command line

questions are:
-can i boot an image of my machine into qemu?
-what bios do i need - OpenBios, OpenBoot, original (how can i get
this from my machine?)
-use qemu git head or other version?

thx for any help

Sadly sun4u support isn't quite there yet; it's enough to boot Linux (and with git master you can actually start booting the *BSD kernels and Solaris) but there are still some issues with the device tree that need to be resolved in order for this to work.

In theory the only remaining issues in order to get a headless (serial) Solaris to boot in QEMU are to fix up the PCI BARs/interrupts and then to switch the RTC over to MMIO access, but I ran out of time to do any more development work this release cycle.

As my QEMU work is unsponsored, I'm afraid the pace of development is restricted to what I can do in my spare time. If you're not subscribed to the list full time, I can let you know when I make any further progress if that helps?

ATB,

Mark.