qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qemu VGA endian swap low level drawing changes

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qemu VGA endian swap low level drawing changes
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 14:09:48 +0100

On 6 July 2014 12:23, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
> Well, it depends what you mean by the guest draws its own pointer ... we
> are in the specific case of cirrusfb HW cursor emulation which Gerd and
> I are trying to fix.
>
> Basically the guest doesn't draw anything. Gerd initial implementation
> just passes the pixels to the dpy/qemu cursor, but while that probably
> works fine in absolute mode, it's somewhat busted in relative mode at
> least with SDL and gtk.
>
> The question is whether we can make it work that way (by basically
> having grab and moving the host cursor) or do we really need to add a
> layer for painting the cursor on top of the surface.

I think this definitely needs to be done by the cirrusfb device model
(or possibly by the common display code). Otherwise you're going to
have to try to implement this in every single UI backend, and I bet
you need a fallback implementation anyway because there's going to
be at least one UI that can't implement it. And as Alex points out,
trying to use the host mouse cursor doesn't work in pretty much any
relative-mode mouse-grabbed setup.

thanks
-- PMM