qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Why I advise against using ivshmem

From: David Marchand
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Why I advise against using ivshmem
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 11:03:32 +0200

Hello all,

On 06/17/2014 04:54 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
ivshmem has a performance disadvantage for guest-to-host
communication.  Since the shared memory is exposed as PCI BARs, the
guest has to memcpy into the shared memory.

vhost-user can access guest memory directly and avoid the copy inside the guest.

Actually, you can avoid this memory copy using frameworks like DPDK.

Unless someone steps up and maintains ivshmem, I think it should be
deprecated and dropped from QEMU.

Then I can maintain ivshmem for QEMU.
If this is ok, I will send a patch for MAINTAINERS file.

--
David Marchand