qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1 1/2] arm: Add the cortex-a9 CPU to the a9mpcore

From: Peter Crosthwaite
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1 1/2] arm: Add the cortex-a9 CPU to the a9mpcore device
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 17:46:24 +1000

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 10 June 2014 02:32, Alistair Francis <address@hidden> wrote:
>> This patch adds the Cortex-A9 ARM CPU to the A9MPCore.
>
> I think this is in general the right way to go.
>
>> +    /* Properties for the A9 CPU */
>> +    DEFINE_PROP_UINT32("midr", A9MPPrivState, midr, 0),
>> +    DEFINE_PROP_UINT64("reset-cbar", A9MPPrivState, reset_cbar, 0),
>
> It seems a bit error-prone if every container object has to manually
> mirror the properties of the individual CPUs out like this; maybe
> there's a better way we could come up with?
>
> Paolo, weren't you looking at passthrough properties for the
> virtio devices?

Stefan added support for QDEV property aliasing.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2014-05/msg06489.html

The bigger issue though is how do you do an N:1 mapping. The container
should only have 1 "midr" prop, but it should mirror to all contained
CPUs. Should we add multiplicity to the aliasing feature?

Regards,
Peter