qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] To measure Interrupt latency

From: saravanakumar punith
Subject: [Qemu-devel] To measure Interrupt latency
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 20:26:35 +0530

Hi,
Is there any way to measure interrupt latency ( delay between interrupt occurred and interrupt service routine is getting called) in VM.

Consider a device is assigned to a VM (using passthrough).
Now, interrupt is triggered for the device.

I believe kernel code in Host side is getting called first and then  corresponding interrupt handler
registered in Guest side is getting called.

Now , I would like to measure the latency between
a. interrupt notification at host side
b. Actual interrupt handler called at Guest side

Is there a (software)method exists to measure interrupt latency for a device inside VM.?
Architecutre : X86_64 and qemu-kvm used.

PS:
I read about using some high precision timer and measure time difference.
But I am not sure whether it is possible to access the timer from  Host and Guest and measure the latency.

Please let me know.
Thanks