qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Bug] cirrus_vga: qemu abort at booting when configure

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Bug] cirrus_vga: qemu abort at booting when configure vgamem_mb <= 2
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 08:49:25 +0200

On Fr, 2014-05-09 at 03:47 +0000, Gonglei (Arei) wrote:
> Hi, Gerd
>
> The issue consequentially occur, I have tested various qemu versions,
> including the current qemu.git.

Missing sanity check.  It's not valid.  We mimic existing hardware here,
and the cirrus card emulated has 4 MB video memory.  So ideally we
should just use that and be done with it.  Problem is qemu has
historically used 8 or 16 mb vga memory for cirrus, and simply changing
it will break live migration.

So cirrus should accept 4 MB (correct value), 8 MB and 16 MB (for
backward compatibility) and reject everything else.  Patches are
welcome ;)

If you want reduce the qemu memory footprint use stdvga instead which
should handle memory sized from 1 MB to 256 MB just fine.

cheers,
  Gerd