qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [GSoC] Wanted: small warmup tasks

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [GSoC] Wanted: small warmup tasks
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:34:04 +0100

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 08:19:19AM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2014-04-23 11:25, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > Dear QEMU, Libvirt, and KVM communities,
> > We are participating in Google Summer of Code 2014
> > (http://google-melange.com/) and Outreach Program for Women
> > (http://opw.gnome.org/).  Both programs fund candidates to work on our
> > open source projects for 12 weeks this summer.
>
> To follow up on this: I'm currently looking for optional tiny "warmup"
> tasks for our QEMU students during the bonding period (till May 18). If
> you have any trivial issues or extensions in mind that someone could
> address within a few days or even hours, that would be perfect. It could
> even be something like "reformat the printing of these messages" or so.
>
> We used this mechanism last year with the KVM student quite
> successfully. The idea is to give the student very early a chance to get
> in contact with the community and with the patch submission & review
> procedure. So the focus is more on dealing with patches than on solving
> a technical problem in QEMU. If all works fine, this should encourage
> her/him to work with the community right from the beginning, ask
> question, post things early etc.

Currently QEMU uses a handful of GCC warning flags:

  -Wstrict-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wall -Wundef -Wwrite-strings
  -Wmissing-prototypes -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Wendif-labels
  -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wempty-body -Wnested-externs -Wformat-security
  -Wformat-y2k -Winit-self -Wignored-qualifiers -Wold-style-declaration
  -Wold-style-definition -Wtype-limits

There are a lot more gcc warning flags that are potentially useful
to QEMU. For example libvirt builds with this (possibly insanely)
large set:

  -W -Waddress -Waggressive-loop-optimizations -Wall -Warray-bounds
  -Wattributes -Wbad-function-cast -Wbuiltin-macro-redefined -Wcast-align
  -Wchar-subscripts -Wclobbered -Wcomment -Wcomments -Wcoverage-mismatch
  -Wcpp -Wdeprecated-declarations -Wdisabled-optimization -Wdiv-by-zero
  -Wdouble-promotion -Wempty-body -Wendif-labels -Wextra -Wformat-contains-nul
  -Wformat-extra-args -Wformat-security -Wformat-y2k -Wformat-zero-length
  -Wfree-nonheap-object -Wignored-qualifiers -Wimplicit
  -Wimplicit-function-declaration -Wimplicit-int -Winit-self -Winline
  -Wint-to-pointer-cast -Winvalid-memory-model -Winvalid-pch -Wjump-misses-init
  -Wlogical-op -Wmain -Wmaybe-uninitialized -Wmissing-braces
  -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-field-initializers -Wmissing-include-dirs
  -Wmissing-parameter-type -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmultichar -Wnarrowing
  -Wnested-externs -Wnonnull -Wnormalized=nfc -Wold-style-declaration
  -Wold-style-definition -Woverflow -Woverride-init -Wpacked-bitfield-compat
  -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wpointer-sign -Wpointer-to-int-cast
  -Wpragmas -Wreturn-local-addr -Wreturn-type -Wsequence-point -Wshadow
  -Wsizeof-pointer-memaccess -Wstrict-aliasing -Wstrict-prototypes
  -Wsuggest-attribute=const -Wsuggest-attribute=format
  -Wsuggest-attribute=noreturn -Wsuggest-attribute=pure -Wswitch -Wsync-nand
  -Wtrampolines -Wtrigraphs -Wtype-limits -Wuninitialized -Wunknown-pragmas
  -Wunused -Wunused-but-set-parameter -Wunused-but-set-variable
  -Wunused-function -Wunused-label -Wunused-local-typedefs -Wunused-parameter
  -Wunused-result -Wunused-value -Wunused-variable -Wvarargs -Wvariadic-macros
  -Wvector-operation-performance -Wvolatile-register-var -Wwrite-strings
  -Wno-sign-compare -Wjump-misses-init -Wno-format-nonliteral
  -Wframe-larger-than=4096 -Wno-suggest-attribute=pure
  -Wno-suggest-attribute=const

I've previously submitted a patch series which attempted to enable some
more of these for QEMU, but I never got time to address the feedback I