qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [qmu] VNC sharePolicy not working as expected

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [qmu] VNC sharePolicy not working as expected
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 09:43:08 +0200

  Hi,

> But while testing I am not able to get expected results for
> allow-exclusive and ignore sharePolicy.
> For allow-exclusive sharePolicy previous connections are not getting
> dropped and console contents are getting shared among all open
> consoles.

The vnc protocol has an option to specify whenever you want share a
session or not.  With vncviewer the '-shared' command line switch
controls this.  Don't know for other vnc clients.

The sharePolicy only has an effect in case vnc clients are actually
asking for exclusive access.

With force-shared qemu simply doesn't allow exclusive access (i.e.
vncvlewer can only connect if you specify -shared).

With allow-exclusive vnc clients can ask for exclusive access, and if
that happens qemu will disconnect everybody else.  It is still possible
to have multipe vnc clients connect in parallel, but only if they all
ask for shared access.

> For ignore sharePolicy also contents are getting shared among all open
> consoles.

That is expected behavior for ignore, qemu lets everybody connect in
parallel, without checking whenever the vnc clients ask for exclusive or
shared access.

HTH,
  Gerd