qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Should we have a 2.0-rc3 ?

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Should we have a 2.0-rc3 ?
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 17:42:42 +0200

On 10.04.14 17:38, Eric Blake wrote:
On 04/10/2014 09:27 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:
Hrm, so what if we just ditch pre-2.0 support for PPC in libvirt? Then
it'd become

if (machine_type == pc || machine_type == pseries || machine_type ==
ppce500)
   assume QEMU_CAPS_PCI_MULTIBUS
else ...

and everyone is happy, no? :)
No, because there (may be) people clamoring for (at least some specific
machine types of) PPC support to be backported to pre-2.0 versions.

Then I'm happy if they die a painful death :).

The point is that the pre-2.0 behavior is a mess of special casing,
which can't be helped, but what CAN be helped is no NEW special casing
without introspection.  We failed at adding the introspection in time,
and the only other alternative to adding introspection is to change ALL
machines at the same time; since neither of those can happen in time for
2.0, it leaves reverting the PPC change and letting 2.0 behave like
pre-2.0 as the path with the fewest special casing requirements.

I really don't see how you would even remotely want to use pre-2.0 QEMU in production environments for PPC. Heck, we even get patch sets today that try to fix migration with libvirt that aren't even upstream yet :).

Alex