qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] copy OEM ACPI parameters from SLIC table to RSDT

From: Chris Evich
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] copy OEM ACPI parameters from SLIC table to RSDT
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 11:38:58 -0400

On 04/06/2014 08:21 AM, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> (2) I recently found this forum post from Chris Evich (CC'd):
>
>   Libvirt + Fedora 20 + Windows 8.1 OEM + UEFI = Oh My!
>   http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1694052
>
> (scroll up to the start of the thread).

FWIW: "Works" in my instance was defined as "Windows 8.1 installed as a
VM and successfully passed M$ activation".  As I understand it, there is
some "slop" on the M$ side to account for a degree of hardware variation
between OEM pre-activation and the consumer "phone-home" phase.  My aim
was to do everything I could think of to match as closely as possible
and get it working.  I __did_not_go_deeper_than_that__, meaning
verifying ACPI tables and such inside the guest.

I did note the installer asked me to manually enter the license key,
which I read it's suppose to automatically read out of the MSDS table.
Maybe I needed to pull in stuff from RSDT/XSDT or none of the
table-copying business was working/necessary.  In any case, presumably
if I didn't match enough of the hardware uniqueness (uuid, mac
addresses, etc) it would have been outside the "slop".  Then again, I
suppose they could change the degree of slop at some point, so maybe the
tables will be important.

Anyway, if anyone wants more details, I'm happy to help.

--
Chris Evich, RHCA, RHCE, RHCDS, RHCSS
Quality Assurance Engineer