qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ATA timeouts on Solaris/OpenIndiana/Opensolaris

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ATA timeouts on Solaris/OpenIndiana/Opensolaris
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 12:53:38 -0400

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Am 02.04.2014 09:32, schrieb Sai Prajeeth:
> I am booting an OpenIndiana image on qemu by using the -smp 4 option. I
> seem to be running into this known
> bug http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/820-5245/ggmsj/index.html
>
> Can someone tell me how can i go about doing workaround 2 on qemu??

Here's my script for running OpenIndiana using AHCI (SATA):

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -smp cores=1,threads=1,sockets=1 -m 2G \
 -netdev user -device e1000,macaddr=... \
 -device ahci,id=ahci \
 -device ide-drive,bus=ahci.0,drive=ahcihd \
 -drive file=/.../openindiana-151a.img,format=raw,if=none,id=ahcihd \

Note that live migration doesn't work with AHCI ATM.

If you could start qemu with both ata and ahci, add a new lun to the ahci controller, and use beadm to migrate to the achi disk, then disconnect the ata disk/controller and bump the cores back to 4.

I think that workaround 1 is not technically correct.  however, you'd need a really good understanding of Solaris/opensolaris/OI to force the system to reenumerate the device path from a failsafe boot.  But this is not for the faint of heart.

If it's a new install (ie, not much customization/data), why not just start a new QEMU instance that uses the ahci controller?

Ben

Ben