qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] updated virtio-gpu code

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] updated virtio-gpu code
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 09:05:59 +0100

On Di, 2014-03-25 at 16:58 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've pushed a new version of the unaccelerated virtio-gpu code to my repo
>
> git://git.freedesktop.org/~airlied/qemu virtio-gpu
>
> this is Gerd vga-wip branch, with the virtgpu_hw file moved, removing
> the event queue and a config space added with a events_read,
> events_clear u32.
>
> I've also pushed the changes to the kms driver to use this,
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/linux/log/?h=virtio-vga-3d
>
> Gerd, I've also dropped my experimental config space hacks and pushed
> the two pci/vga fixes into that branch as well.

Great, I'll have a detailed look later today.

> Just out of interest, with sdl and remote-viewer I seem to get 2
> displays, one for the VGA time, and a separate one for the driver
> loaded, any ideas why?

Saw your self-reply this is a libvirt vga artefact.
On dealing with libvirt, here is how I do it:

<domain type='kvm'
xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>

[ xmlxs:qemu=.. is  needed for the <qemu:...> stuff below ]

  <name>fedora-org-virtio-vga</name>
  [ ... ]
  <devices>
  [ ... ]
    <video>
      <model type='vga' vram='9216' heads='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02'
function='0x0'/>
    </video>

[ Adding stdvga here ... ]

  [ ... ]
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-set'/>
    <qemu:arg value='device.video0.driver=virtio-vga'/>

[ ... then using custom cmd line hack to changes the
  video device from stdvga to virtio-vga behind libvirt's back ;) ]

    <qemu:arg value='-L'/>
    <qemu:arg value='/usr/share/seavgabios.git'/>

[ Cutting edge seavgabios with virtio support,
  add http://www.kraxel.org/repos/firmware.repo to /etc/yum.repos.d
  and 'yum install seavgabios.git' to get it. ]

  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

HTH,
  Gerd