qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] hmp interface for kdump compressed format

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] hmp interface for kdump compressed format
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 22:28:16 +0100

On 03/20/14 22:18, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
> On 20/03/14 21:56, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
>> On 03/20/14 21:38, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
>>> Qiao Nuohan,
>>>
>>> is there a reason why you did not implemented the HMP part for that format
>>> of kdump compressed format? After all this is a patch mostly for developers,
>>> so a HMP interface might come handy. Do you already have some patch in
>>> preparation or know somebody doing it?
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/249283/focus=250059
>>
>> Laszlo
>>
> So in essence: Due to the limitations of the command line parser we cannot
> add the format to the hmp command line.
> So something like adding
>
> dump_guest_memory_set_format <format>
>
> would be the only possible solution with the hmp code as is. Correct?

Yes, one possibility would be to make the dump command stateful (=
compression format), and to add a new command setting/getting that state.

Another option would be to leave the current command intact, and add an
independent command that wouldn't take "begin", "end", nor "paging", but
would take compression format.

> (If adding such a command is nice or not is another question)

Yep.

Thanks
Laszlo