qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding dmcrypt to QEMU block drivers

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding dmcrypt to QEMU block drivers
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 14:08:19 +0100

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 08:48:08PM -0400, Hamilton, Peter A. wrote:
> Hi qemu-devel,
>
> I am a member of a development team based out of the Johns Hopkins University
> Applied Physics Laboratory. Over the past year and a half, we've been working
> with the OpenStack community on several security features for their Compute
> and Block Storage services that leverage encrypted data storage. One of these
> features, ephemeral storage encryption for qcow2-based virtual machines,
> would leverage the encryption functionality built into the qcow2 file format.
> However, there are significant issues with the security and implementation of
> the qcow2 encryption feature that preclude us from using it in OpenStack. For
> example, there is no support for the following security features: rekeying of
> encrypted images, key stretching, and cipher configurability.
>
> After discussing some of these details with Daniel Berrange, we are
> interested in working with you to add and improve the encryption support
> offered by QEMU. In the past, Daniel has advocated the full adaptation of the
> LUKS file format used by dmcrypt, which we currently use in OpenStack. Our
> proposal would focus on adding a dmcrypt-style encryption layer above the
> QEMU block driver layer, which would transparently encrypt and decrypt all
> data written to or read from the underlying block device. This would provide
> encryption support for all backends and file formats supported by QEMU that
> leverage block drivers. Such support in QEMU provides significantly improved
> security and renders the existing encryption scheme provided by qcow2
> obsolete.
>
> My intent at the moment is to get a feel for your thoughts and concerns about
> this proposal and to determine who is currently working on QEMU security
> features or would be interested in working with us on this feature. I've
> found past discussions in the QEMU community addressing these encryption
> concerns but am unaware at the moment what the status is for those
> development efforts. I'd be happy to provide additional information about our
> past and current work on OpenStack security if anyone is interested.

I'm not aware of anyone actively working on improving encryption.
Kevin, Markus, I, and others in the community can review patches.

I'm not sure what your concrete proposal is:

A LUKS implementation inside QEMU as a block (filter) driver?

I guess the filter would be deployed below the image format:
qcow2 -> luks -> file

Is there a way to verify against dmcrypt for testing purposes (e.g.
reading a file created with QEMU using dmcrypt to check the contents are
identical and vice versa).

Please let the LUKS/dmcrypt maintainers know about this effort.  We are
not crypto experts, maybe they can help.