qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v2 00/44] rework input handling, sdl2 support

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v2 00/44] rework input handling, sdl2 support
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 14:19:17 +0100

> I hate bouncing this pull request for a second time, but
> this still contains stuff that's obviously not ready:
>  * patch which adds a 1000 line new file, then another
>    patch 2 commits later deletes 100 of those lines

That is just a case of having forgotten to specify '-M' switch for
git-format-patch.  Hmm, seems there is no config option to flip the
default according to 'git config --help'.

It's not a new file, it is "git mv ui/input.c ui/input-legacy.c".

>  * "build fix" patch -- we shouldn't break the build in one
>    patch and fix it in another, this breaks bisection

I wanted to keep patch authorship, that's why it isn't squashed in.
Also it is in the braille support bits which are not compiled unless you
have brlapi-devel installed.  I expect this being pretty unusual, so
most people will not see it.

>  * patches which don't come anywhere near passing
>    checkpatch

Same reason, keep patch authorship.  Dave's SDL2 patch has a bunch of
codestyle issues, mostly due to using the SDl1 code as base.  They are
fixed up later in the series, by deleting code not needed any step by
step, and finally with a codestyle cleanup patch.

You can easily check that by running the whole pull request through
checkpatch:

git diff 105a060188dc6fdd4551571a966514d1a5f6815a..pull-input-2 \
        | scripts/checkpatch.pl -

That'll show a single issue, in the legacy input code, which only shows
up due to the file with the legacy input code being renamed (see above).

cheers,
  Gerd