qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 16/16] target-i386: Move KVM default-vendor hack

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 16/16] target-i386: Move KVM default-vendor hack to instance_init
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 00:33:05 +0100

Il 08/02/2014 18:28, Andreas Färber ha scritto:
+    /* sysenter isn't supported in compatibility mode on AMD,
+     * syscall isn't supported in compatibility mode on Intel.
+     * Normally we advertise the actual CPU vendor, but you can
+     * override this using the 'vendor' property if you want to use
+     * KVM's sysenter/syscall emulation in compatibility mode and
+     * when doing cross vendor migration
+     */
+    const char *vendor = def->vendor;
+    char host_vendor[CPUID_VENDOR_SZ + 1];

Since when is it OK to declare variables in the middle of the block?

When the code looks better, it is OK since always: checkpatch.pl doesn't complain and -Wdeclaration-after-statement is not added to the compiler flags. Usually I prefer to split a function if I feel the need for variable declarations in the middle of a block. In this case, the variable is used till the end of the function, and a "fake" {...} block is worse than this.

Are you planning to fix that?

No, I am not.

Once again I note that a patch to a file under my maintenance was
applied without my review - and promptly a style bug slipped through.

If you consider it a style bug, post a patch to add the -Wdeclaration-after-statement flag and/or to detect in checkpatch.pl. Until then, things are left to everyone's taste. AFAIU declarations after statements are discouraged but not prohibited.

I applied these three patches because they only affect KVM. Eduardo's other series "target-i386: Simplify kvm_cpu_fill_host() and kvm_check_features_against_host()" is also touching only target-i386/cpu.c and it's obviously KVM stuff.

Paolo