qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [uq/master PATCH 0/7] x86 CPU subclasses, take 7

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [uq/master PATCH 0/7] x86 CPU subclasses, take 7
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 17:52:57 +0100

Il 31/01/2014 17:42, Eduardo Habkost ha scritto:
> It looks like only -device would be able to create actual CPU models,
> but for -device to work we need as minimum this series and conversion
> of CPU features to properties in tree. Then I guess we can override
> cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet for x86 CPUs.
Setting cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet=false looks much simpler
than implementing UserCreatable. My question is: may we do that, already
(once this series gets included), or is there something else holding us
from doing it?

Once you make something creatable with "-object", the API must not change anymore. So we would have to think twice about that.

Allowing -device may be okay, since in the (very?) long term -device can be replaced by -object. But -object is definitive.

Paolo