qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] KVM and variable-endianness guest CPUs

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] KVM and variable-endianness guest CPUs
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:31:32 +1100

On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 11:29 -0800, Victor Kamensky wrote:
> I don't see why you so attached to desire to describe
> data part of memory transaction as just one of int
> types. If we are talking about bunch of hypothetical
> cases imagine such bus that allow transaction with
> size of 6 bytes. How do you describe such data in
> your ints speak? What endianity you can assign to
> sequence of 6 bytes? While note that description of
> such transaction as set of 6 byte values at address
> $whatever makes perfect sense.

Absolutely. For example, the "real" bus out of a POWER8 core is
something like 128 bytes wide though I wouldn't be surprised if it was
serialized, I don't actually know the details, it's all inside the chip.
The interconnect between chip is a multi-lane elastic interface whose
width has nothing to do with the payload size. Same goes with PCIe.

The only thing that can more/less sanely represent all of these things
is a series of bytes ordered by address, with attributes such as the
access size (or byte enables if that makes more sense or we want to
emulate really funky stuff) and possibly other decoration that some
architectures might want to have (such as caching/combining attributes
etc... which *might* be useful under some circumstances).

Cheers,
Ben.