qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU ARM946 emulation, DIGIC, and MPU fault handling

From: Georg Hofstetter
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU ARM946 emulation, DIGIC, and MPU fault handling
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 10:13:13 +0100

Am 24.01.2014 09:31, schrieb Antony Pavlov:
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 22:25:36 +0000
> Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Since the 946 doesn't provide any way to find out what the fault
>> address actually was (it has no DFAR or IFAR) I presume that all
>> guest software treats a data abort or prefetch abort as a fatal error,
>> which is probably part of why nobody's ever noticed this.

Hi,

speaking for EOS models: indeed the original manufacturer's OS does not
handle these cases very different. They pick up the context (including
LR, the failing instruction), print an error message and kill the
failing task.

So at least the original OS does not use MPU systematically, like it
would be necessary for some kind of swapping etc.

BR,
Georg