qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5] -object/object-add support custom location an

From: Igor Mammedov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5] -object/object-add support custom location and 2nd stage initialization
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 16:31:08 +0100

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:28:10 +0100
Igor Mammedov <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 18:33:11 +0100
> Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Il 08/01/2014 17:51, Igor Mammedov ha scritto:
[...]
> > > The reason for separate interfaces is that realize interface is more
> > > generic
> > > and might be used outside of '-object'. While I don't see 'path' interface
> > > ever used outside of -object.
> >
> > Yeah, I think the two interfaces are a good idea.  The question is
> > whether we want the second interface at all.  I think it's fine to
> > delegate namespace conventions to management.
> with dropping it, backends for sure can work without it, they will be just
> placed directly under "/objects". For memdev backend it might be upto 256
> objects, clattering "/objects" container.
> Stefan had the similar idea about grouping iothread objects inside
> "/backends/iothreads".
so what do we do with PATH interface?
 1. drop it and put all backends into '/objects' container
 2. keep it, allowing QEMU set default namespace
 3. as discussed in "autogenerate ID" thread let management to pass QOM path
    as ID and in case it starts with '/' use provided QOM path and default
    to '/object' for not path ID.