qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Project idea: make QEMU more flexible

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Project idea: make QEMU more flexible
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 16:32:59 +0000

On 6 January 2014 15:11, Wei Liu <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2014 at 11:23:24PM +1000, Peter Crosthwaite wrote:
> [...]
>> >
>> > Finally I got a qemu-system-null. And the effect is immediately visible
>>
>> qemu-system-null has been on my wish-list in the past, although my
>> reasons were slightly different to yours. Specifically, the goal was
>> to test CPUs in an RTL simulator interacting with RAM and peripheral
>> devices hosted in QEMU.

> Cool. However small this is still a valid usecase.

However I don't think we can have a qemu-system-null
(regardless of use cases) until/unless we get rid of
all the things which are compile-time decided by
the system config. In an ideal world we wouldn't have
any of those (and perhaps you could even build
support for more than one kind of CPU into one QEMU
binary), but as it is we do have them, and so a
qemu-system-null is not possible.

thanks
-- PMM