qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] -vga std vs. -device VGA

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] -vga std vs. -device VGA
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 17:41:07 -0500

Am 14.11.2013 um 17:32 schrieb Benjamin Herrenschmidt <address@hidden>:

> On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 17:23 -0500, Alexander Graf wrote:
>> Yes. But I think it's the correct thing to do in this case. X86 also
>> doesn't create a USB controller like we would have to. Our pseries
>> platform just doesn't have a legacy PC/AT keyboard controller.
>
> Sure, but that implies that -nodefaults -device VGA creates a working
> usable machine on x86 and not on pseries...

There is a set of devices that is always part of your machine. For the PC, this
is the PCI complex and SuperIO (including the keyboard controller).

For pseries, we don't have that chip. We could simulate similar behavior
through a usb controller and keyboard. But those are devices that not every
pseries VM will want to have.

So it really is libvirt's or the xml's job to add these.

Even on x86 there are Atom chips out now that run without SuperIO, so we might
eventually have an x86 machine type without keyboard too, who knows.

Alex