qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Multi-head support RFC

From: Dave Airlie
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Multi-head support RFC
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 11:46:36 +1000

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 6:42 AM, John Baboval <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently the device model maintainer for XenClient Enterprise. As you
> may or may not know, we maintain a patch queue on top of QEMU (currently
> 1.3) that adds functionality needed to support XCE features.
>
> One of the major things we add is robust multi-head support. This includes
> DDC emulation for EDID data, variable VRAM size, monitor hot-plug support,
> simulated VSYNC, and guest controlled display orientation. This includes
> both the necessary interfaces between the hw and ui, and a new emulated
> adapter (with drivers) that exercises the interfaces.

I don't think we'd want to lump all these things together though,

I've started looking at doing multi-head support for a new virtio-gpu,
and I've gotten basic multi-head working with SDL2.0 with cursor
support.

It currently just adds multiple DisplaySurfaces to the QemuConsole,
now Gerd said he thought I should be using multiple QemuConsoles but I
really didn't think this was a good idea, and I still think multiple
surfaces makes more sense wrt how best to interact with this.

Why do you need to emulate DDC btw? is this just to fool the guest
vesa code etc?

Dave.