qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] mach-virt RAM start address

From: Giridhar Maruthy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] mach-virt RAM start address
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 10:50:20 +0530

On 5 October 2013 10:19, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 5 October 2013 13:41, Giridhar Maruthy <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I am using mach-virt in qemu which boots correctly when RAM start
>> address is 0x8000000. But if I change the address to anything like
>> 0x9000000, the mach-virt machine just hangs, not even an error
>> message.
>
> The kernel automatically figures out where in physical memory it should
> decompress itself to (CONFIG_AUTO_ZRELADDR), but the mechanism
> it uses to do this assumes that RAM starts at a 128MB boundary.

ok. But changing the RAM start to 0x20000000 (2 followed by seven
zeros) still does not work even though is at 128MB boundary.

> So we must keep the board's RAM start address at a 128MB boundary.
> Why did you want to move VIRT_MEM up? There's plenty of space
> below it still, I would have thought.
The purpose is that I wanted to use mach-virt as a base to test other
machines' properties like different RAM base and size, peripherals at
different locations, etc.

Thanks,
Giridhar