qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu aarch64 kvm control: branch for testing

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu aarch64 kvm control: branch for testing
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 17:22:28 +0100

I've been asked to put together a git branch with the latest
versions of various dependencies (mach-virt, cpu-host, Mian's
patchset) for aarch64 kvm control support in qemu. You can find it at:
  git://git.linaro.org/people/pmaydell/qemu-arm.git  aarch64-kvm
pointy-clicky version at:

https://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/pmaydell/qemu-arm.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/aarch64-kvm

(NB: Amazon webservices outage this afternoon, so possibly the
git repo might be unaccessible; if so retry later.)

This is intended for testing purposes, setting up continuous
integration loops, etc; it's nowhere near production or
upstream quality yet.

I'm not going to post all the patches here because the
ones that are ready to go upstream or nearly so have all
appeared before. The branch contains:

 device_tree.c: Terminate the empty reservemap in create_device_tree()
 hw/arm/boot: Allow boards to provide an fdt blob
 hw/arm: Add 'virt' platform
  -- these are the mach-virt patches I posted this week

 default-configs: Add config for aarch64-softmmu
  -- the default-config which is the only thing which wasn't
     committed from the aarch64-preparation patchset

 target-arm: Don't hardcode KVM target CPU to be A15
 target-arm: Provide '-cpu host' when running KVM
  -- "-cpu host" support for 32 bit targets. Basically the
   patches I posted a while back, rebased and fiddled a bit
   to match the proposed new kernel API where we ask it
   for its preferred target and use that answer to do the
   vcpu init. At the moment we rely on the fallback code for
   kernels which don't have the ioctl; there's an obvious
   TODO in the code for when the ioctl arrives.

 hw/arm/virt: Support -cpu host
  -- make mach-virt treat '-cpu host' like an A15

 linux-headers: update to 3.11
  -- needed for the AArch64 headers; this patch will go
  upstream via the kvm queue shortly I expect

 AARCH64: Add aarch64 CPU initialization, get and put registers support
  -- quick rebase of a minimal subset of Mian's patches

 aarch64: fixup: cpu host for 64 bit
  -- ...and a hacky addition of 64 bit "-cpu host" by me

 AARCH64: Add boot support for aarch64 processor
  -- another patch from Mian

 hw/arm/virt: Support 64 bit -cpu host
  -- we tell the kernel we're a v8 but still use the A15's
     private peripherals. need to check if this is really sane.

 configure: Enable KVM for aarch64 host/target combination
  -- turn it all on.

The lower end of the patchstack is solid, things get a bit
iffier and in need of cleanup as we go up. I've put notes
in a few commit messages about things that should be done.

This works for me to boot a simple v8 single CPU guest
with
./qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt -cpu host -kernel ./Image -append
'rdinit=/bin/sh init=/bin/sh console=ttyAMA0,38400 keep_bootcon'
-enable-kvm -display none -serial stdio

on a Foundation Model. No SMP support as I didn't
take that patch from the OVS tree.

thanks
-- PMM