qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v4 4/5] hw/arm/digic: add UART support

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v4 4/5] hw/arm/digic: add UART support
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 08:25:20 +0100

On 6 September 2013 07:54, Antony Pavlov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 19:17:50 +0100
> Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Does this UART really not have a FIFO?
>
> There is no public documentation on Digic chips.
> Only Canon's engineers know something about Digic's FIFO (if it exists :).

You can deduce its existence though -- does the
UART let you feed two or three characters to it
at faster than whatever the serial line speed is
before it sets the "stop sending me bits" status
bit, or does it stop after the first?
If the real firmware uses this for anything remotely
serious (ie for more than trivial and default-disabled
debug info) it probably does have a FIFO. However,
let's assume it doesn't for now.

-- PMM